Food Boxes for Basingstoke
Over the last 3 years Basingstoke Voluntary Action (BVA) have distributed nearly 1000 Christmas food boxes to individuals across the borough who are living with the effects of poverty, social isolation, or vulnerably housed, as well as food and tents, winter equipment and clothes for around 75 individual people who are sleeping rough.
Over 500 of these were distributed last year alone, showing what can be achieved when communities are motivated and united for such a worthwhile local cause.
The food box appeal has, grown year on year, and become a huge undertaking. This means we need as much help as we can get to ensure 2016 is another successful year.
Basingstoke Irish Society have generously offered us room at Basingstoke Irish Centre to accept donations, and storage space to use as a hub for this year’s food drive.
We will be accepting donations between
Monday 21st November – Friday 16 December
Basingstoke Irish Centre
Council Rd, Basingstoke RG21 3DH
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange delivery of donations or to discuss volunteering.
Last year’s appeal benefitted recipients identified by a broad range of local charities and support agencies, including:
- Learning Disabilities team
- HCC Children’s Services Team
- Bridge Centre
- Youth Offending Team
- Hampshire Wellbeing
- Two Saints Ltd
- May Place
- Jacobs House
- The Camrose Centre
- MaD (teenage parents)
- Young Carers
- Citizens Advice
- Mary Rose Court
- Community Furniture Project
I would like to say a massive thank you to BVA for the hard work they have put in arranging food boxes this year. I have taken around 30 & delivered them to clients that were not expecting anything – all were very grateful for the thought & the generosity of people
Without donations such as these, Trinity would not be able to provide the same level of service to our clients, and we are so grateful that you thought of us.
Basingstoke Voluntary Action do some fantastic work to help the community and I’m thrilled AWE staff have been able to contribute to such a worthy cause.
Why not make it a team challenge? – Last year local companies competed internally to fill the most boxes, bands got together and held a concert, and local schools had non-uniform days!
There are two ways anyone can help:
Option 1 – Christmas Food Box for refuges, hostels and underprivileged families
- Take a photocopying paper box and lid
- Wrap box and lid separately in Christmas wrapping paper
- Fill it up with food for Christmas, selecting from following suggested items:
- Tins of ham or chicken
- Tins of new potatoes
- Tins of carrots, garden peas
- Tin or pouch of long life quality casserole meal
- Dessert such as custard, mince pies, Christmas Cake, Luxury biscuits, chocolates/selection box
- Tea/ coffee/cocoa
- Snacks such as crackers, twiglets, savoury twists, nibbles.
- Box all food up
- Email to arrange delivery; In some cases, or where large donations are concerned we may be able to collect donations
- We will donate them to the worthy causes and centres in the Basingstoke and Deane area
Option 2 – Donations of food and items to be distributed to homeless centres and hostels, can be from the list above or any of these:
- Food items such as cup soups/noodles, tea bags, coffee (any food bags you can add hot water to); ring-pull tins of hot dogs, ravioli, stews, rice puddings; high energy protein/cereal bars; chocolate biscuits/sweets/small selection boxes, multipack crisp/snacks
- Equipment such as warm hats, scarves, gloves, socks, jumpers, coats; unwanted rucksacks or draw string bags; wind-up torches, sleeping bags, thermos flasks/cups; sturdy boots/shoes, toiletries
Please note we cannot accept any donations of alcohol or food containing alcohol
We also need empty photocopy paper boxes, donations of sticky tape, wrapping paper and volunteers to help sort items, wrap, pack and distribute boxes – if you have any free time and would like to join us we would love to hear from you!!
Finally, many companies in previous years have donated money to help with winter food box appeals. If you would like to do this please make cheques payable to Basingstoke Voluntary Action and clearly write on the back Christmas Appeal
Please note that due to the change in venue this year we cannot guarantee response to phone messages. For all Food Box related enquiries please email natascha.shepherd@BVAction.org.uk